We are very pleased to inform you all that Riyad Mahrez has been announced as the Winner of African Player of the Year 2016. The Algeria international and Leicester City midfielder beating Borussia Dortmund “Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang” and Liverpool “Sadio Mane” to the prize because after playing a pivotal role in Leicester City’s incredible march to the 2015-16 Premier League title and also crucial part in one of the most incredible sporting achievements in recent years. Why Can’t Riyad Mahrez Winner of African Player of the Year 2016?
Riyad Mahrez beats Borussia Dortmund striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Winner of African Player of the Year 2015, to the prize this year.
A happy Mahrez said.: “It’s a huge honour to receive this award, I want to thank all my teammates, my family, Africa, and Nigeria as well,”
Following the African Player of the Year 2016 Votes the Foxes star won 361 votes at the official CAF awards, edging in front of Aubameyang’s 313, while Liverpool forward Sadio Mane finished in third place with 186 votes.
However, all attentions will now turn towards January’s Africa Cup of Nations, to be held in Aubameyang’s native Gabon.
Other Awards Presented CAF Awards 2016
Below are the other awards presented on Thursday night at the Abuja International Conference Centre in Nigeria.
- African Player of the Year: Riyad Mahrez
- CAF Platinum Award: Muhammadu Buhari
- Football Leader of the Year: Manuel Lopes Nascimento
- African Player of the Year – Based in Africa: Denis Onyango
- Referee of the Year: Bakary Papa Gassama
- Women’s Player of the Year: Asisat Oshoala
- 2016 Coach of the Year: Pitsoo Mosimane
- 2016 Youth Player of the Year: Alex Iwobi
- 2016 Most Promising Player of the Year: Kelechi Iheanacho
- Club of the Year: Memelodi Sundowns
- Women’s National Team of the Year: Nigeria
- National Team of the Year: Uganda
Please share this and use the comment box below for your recommendation or question on Riyad Mahrez Winner of African Player of the Year 2016