The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is currently accepting applications for its scholarship programme and in this article, you will learn more about the IPCC Scholarship programme and the basic steps on how to go about applying for it.
The programme provides scholarships for PhD students from developing countries for research that advances the understanding of the scientific basis of risks of climate change, its potential impacts and options for adaptation and mitigation.
The IPCC was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for its ‘efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change’. The award of the Nobel Peace Prize recognized the importance of addressing the implications of climate change on stability and human security.
The Scholarship Programme was established with the funds received from the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize award to the IPCC.
1. Open to PhD students that have been enrolled for at least a year or are undertaking post-doctoral research
2. Applicants should be citizens of a developing country with priority given to students from least developed countries (LDCs) and small island developing States (SIDS) who are not studying in their country of the region
3. Research proposals are encouraged from but are not limited to, the following topics: Living soils, biodiversity, regenerative viticulture, agroforestry, water management, and the terrestrial carbon cycle.
For the application, you will need to complete and upload;
- An application form
- National ID and passport
- Research proposal
- A provisional budget
- Proof of completion of at least one year of Ph.D. studies or proof of initial work as a post-doctoral researcher
2021 IPCC Scholarship Programme For PhD Students
To apply for the scholarship programme, you have to adhere to the basic instructions given below.
- Visit the scholarship application portal at www.apps.ipcc.ch/scholarship/
- On the right side of the page, click on “New users – Registration”
- You will be taken to the registration page where you can enter your valid email address
- Create and re-enter your password
- Enter the numbers and letters you see in the image
- Then click on “Register” and you will be taken to the application page where you can start your application process.
The following describes the process through which scholarships are awarded, once a funding round is agreed:
- The IPCC Secretariat receives and screens all applications for eligibility, and assigns them to Expert Reviewers (i.e. previous and current IPCC Coordinating Lead Authors, Lead Authors, Review Editors and Bureau Members).
- The Expert Reviewers review the applications and proposals and make their recommendations to the Programme Science Board, which comprises the IPCC Chair and the three Vice-Chairs.
- The IPCC Science Board assesses the recommendations and draws up a shortlist of the candidates that are submitted to the funding partners.
- The funding partners make the final selection of students to receive the awards.
Application Closing Date
All applications must be submitted by the deadline – Sunday 28th March 2021 (midnight CST).
If you have any questions about this 2021 IPCC Scholarship Programme For PhD Students, feel free to use the comment box below.